Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Digital Learning Day 2013

Image from Google
This year, February 6th is National Digital Learning Day.  Digital Learning is "any instructional practice that effectively uses technology to strengthen the student learning experience.  Digital Learning Day is one day that highlights this practice, but the hope is that it will continue year round."

I signed up to take part in this event, but I didn't plan anything over-the-top for my class.  I decided to keep it simple and focus on three things.  I introduced my students to glogs, showed them how to create a word cloud through Tagxedo, and got them started on KidBlog.  I gave my students a writing assignment this morning and asked them to share how they use technology to help them with schoolwork, explain what they like about the way I use technology in the classroom, and offer one suggestion on how I can improve my teaching (with technology).  I enjoyed reading their feedback and a few of them offered good suggestions.

I informed my co-workers of DLD and let them know that you don't have to have fancy tech tools (i.e. Promethean board or iPads) to participate.  You can simply introduce your students to a new website like www.flocabulary.com, observe in a technology-rich classroom, video-tape yourself teaching a lesson (and review it to improve your practice), or just get on Twitter and connect with other educators.

Here are a few sites that I found helpful: 
Save the date for February 5, 2014--the next DLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment